Sunday, May 09, 2021

"..seize what flees..."

"For he will command his angels concerning you

    to guard you in all your ways;" Psalm 91:11 NIV

"He will command His heavenly messengers to guard you,

    to keep you safe in every way. Psalm 91:11 VOICE




“O my friend, what cause have we for thankfulness 
who know thus where to go for pardon and for peace, as well as for grace and strength. May I be enabled to spend any remainder of life that may be spared me more profitably- more according the measure of the rich abundance of mercies and blessings
 for which my upmost services, as well as warmest gratitude
 are due.”  
- Recollections of William Wilberforce (1864)



Carpe Diem

 “Carpe Diem”.

“Let us therefore set out whole-heartedly, leaving aside our many distractions and exert ourselves in this single purpose, before we realize too late the swift and unstoppable flight of time and are left behind. As each day arises, welcome it as the very best day of all, and make it your own possession. We must seize what flees.”

—SENECA, MORAL LETTERS, 108.27b–28a

“You will get only one shot at today. You have only twenty-four hours with which to take it. And then it is gone and lost forever. Will you fully inhabit all of today? Will you call out, “I've got this,” and do your very best to be your very best?

 What will you manage to make of today before it slips from your fingers and becomes the past? When someone asks you what you did yesterday, do you really want the answer to be “nothing”?

-The Daily Stoic , May 9th

                             

 “Surely when I look over in detail... the course of my heart and life; when I call to mind who I have been, and what God has done for me, and by me; when I sum up all together and recollect that consideration which should never be forgotten, that all the past, present, and to come, are under the view of God and lively colours, I am lost in astonishment and can only exclaim ‘Thy ways are not our ways nor thy thoughts as our thought.’ I will try to look back through my past life, and to affect my heart, as by the review it ought to be, with humiliation, gratitude, love, and confidence.”

- William Wilberforce , The Life of William Wilberforce (1838)


                    


"He holds you firmly in place;

He will not let you fall.

 He who keeps you will never take His eyes off you and never drift off to sleep.

What a relief! The One who watches over…

    never leaves for rest or sleep."

                    

“Surely when I think of the way in which I went on for many years, I can only fall down with astonishment as well as humiliation before the throne of grace, and adore with wonder that infinite mercy of God which did not cast me off; but on the contrary, guiding me by a way which I knew not.....living almost without God in the world, till God’s good providence checked and turned me, oh miracle of mercy.."

-William Wilberforce 

No comments:

Post a Comment