Monday, August 11, 2014

"inlet and watching"

Recently I was walking along the beach toward an intracoastal waterway inlet. I saw two things that got me thinking. 
1. Inlet and a stream of water
2. Seagull - sentinel, watching

The inlets provide navigable routes inland along natural rivers or bodies of water.


The inlet prompted a few thoughts:
- What we let into our lives can change us for the good. Thankfulness can be a source of refreshing joy. I do struggle with being thankful as I ought and want to make thankfulness a habit.

- Also need to be careful what I allow into my mind and heart.

 We can drift little by little, just as the water in the inlet keeps wearing away the sand and soon overflows.
As the water level rises as life's cares and worries they will choke the life out of me if I do not guard my heart. 
Soon the narrow inlet and sandbars become covered and the ocean is indistinguishable from the inlet waterway. We lose our zeal for good and the disciplines of grace.

Photo by Arlia
So on this morning I was challenged again to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord.

"so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son,  in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. Colossians 1:10-14 (ESV)

Now to the seagull
it looked like a sentinel keeping watch - looking for the sunrise after the night.


The Seagull  was determined to get the morning catch necessary to survive and grow and seemed to wait, not caring that it was alone on it's pursuit.

I thought of how i need to watch and pray for a desire to please God-

 "Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”  Matt 26:41 (ESV)

One of my heroes,William Wilberforce, wrote to his son concerning being a man that would benefit others, ".. the mainspring must be the desire to please God, which, in a Christian, implies faith in Christ and a grateful sense of the mercies of God through a Redeemer, and an aspiration after increasing holiness of heart and life"


So i do not want to get off track. I want to finish this life well and do not want to go back to the old ways. I daily need to recall the washing and renewal.

"For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,  whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people.  Titus 3:3-8( ESV)


There are times in our lives that we need to wait- this can be one of the hardest things for me but I want to be expectant and look up in faith. God can provide all that we need and provide hope.

"I wait for the Lord, I expectantly wait, and in His word do I hope.
I am looking and waiting for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, I say, more than watchmen for the morning."
 Psalm 130:5-6 (AMP)


“I wait for the Lord; from him I expect relief and comfort, believing it will come, longing till it does come, but patiently bearing the delay of it, and resolving to look for it from no other hand. (MHC)


Though storms or waves break upon us, and they will,
 we can stand firm. Our God will stand unshakable as an Anchor to our souls in the middle of the crashing waves of this life.


Published on Jul 5, 2013
Hillsong Live Album Glorious Ruins, 2013, Name of Song: Anchor

VERSE
I have this hope
As an anchor for my soul
Through every storm
I will hold to You

With endless love
All my fear is swept away
In everything
I will trust in You

CHORUS
There is hope in the promise of the cross
You gave everything to save the world You love
And this hope is an anchor for my soul
Our God will stand
Unshakeable

VERSE
Unchanging One
You who was and is to come
Your promise sure
You will not let go

BRIDGE
Your Name is higher
Your Name is greater
All my hope is in You

Your word unfailing
Your promise unshaken
All my hope is in You

Zugspitze- Highest Peak in Germany Photo by Dirk Kiesewetter

No comments:

Post a Comment