Thursday, May 01, 2014

My days are swifter than a weaver’s shuttle

I was thinking about the passage of time one day how 21 years had passed since my father's passing and my youngest daughter was born. Shocking to think that over 2 decades passed by like a blink!

Life has been a blur at times. Things that happened 8 years ago seem vivid like yesterday and then other times seem a blur and so far away.

I was reading a devotional and it had Job 7:6-7 stated:
"My days are swifter than a weaver’s shuttle, and are spent without hope. Oh, remember that my life is but wind a puff, a breath, a sob; my eye shall see good no more."

Although life is great, I can get down and feel like i want to slow things down a bit. I can get sentimental and think of the old days and fail to appreciate the present . So I guard my heart as best I can and rejoice in today and value each days journey.

Matthew Henry in his commentary says "Our days are like a weaver’s shuttle, thrown from one side of the web to the other in the twinkling of an eye, and then back again, to and fro, until at length it is quite exhausted of the thread it carried, and then we cut off, like a weaver, our life, Isa. 38:12. Time hastens on apace; the motion of it cannot be stopped, and, when it is past, it cannot be recalled. While we are living, as we are sowing (Gal. 6:8), so we are weaving. Every day, like the shuttle, leaves a thread behind it.

Winds blow and ripples form similar to life and as a leaf would drift down stream so we go forward and move on so quickly that we don't have time to think and appreciate all that we have at times.


































“Show me, Lord, my life’s end and the number of my days;
let me know how fleeting my life is.
You have made my days a mere handbreadth;
the span of my years is as nothing before you.
Everyone is but a breath,
even those who seem secure."
Psalm 39:3-5

l 
So as we continue through life and keep God in the forefront. He never changes and His plan continues in our lives. From the storms in life to the quiet peaceful times we remember Him the author of all time and giver of our days.


"Let us charge ourselves to bind a heavenly forget-me-not about our hearts for Jesus our Beloved, and, whatever else we let slip, let us hold fast to Him." (CHS)





"So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom" Psalm 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment